Managing Authority: Department of Social Security
Who applies: Employee
Date of Effect: 15th March – 11th April 2021
Parents employed in the private sector with children under 16 years of age, who are not able to work from home, and who due to the impact of COVID-19 and the closure of schools, between the 15th March and 11th April 2021 cannot go to work and are on unpaid leave, to take care of their children, may apply for this benefit. (Does not include employees, working with private companies, and who work or provide a service in a Government department or entity).
If you are eligible for this benefit, you’ll receive a direct payment of €166.15 per week if you work full-time or €103.85 per week if you work part-time. In addition you will enjoy the following benefits:
- The Social Security Contribution will be paid and your future contributory pension rights safeguarded;
- If you are entitled to Children’s Allowance your rate will be adjusted taking into consideration the new income earned and this may increase up to the maximum rate of €24.08 per week per child;
- If you are entitled to the In Work Benefit you will continue to receive it without deductions;
- If you are entitled to the Tapering of Benefits you will continue to receive it without deductions;
- Parent of children under 16
- You work full-time or part-time in the private sector (read note above about who is excluded)
- You cannot work from home
- You are not attending work and are on unpaid leave to take care of your children in any period between 15th March and 11th April 2021
- Your employer is not receiving the Wage Supplement on your behalf
How to apply:
Fill in and submit the application online. You also need to provide a declaration from your employer which shows that you cannot work from home, you are on unpaid leave and your employer is not receiving Wage Supplement on your behalf. This declaration is to be uploaded in the dedicated area of the online application.