Managing Authority: Department of Social Security
Who applies: Employee
Date of effect: after 8th March 2020
During a press conference delivered on the 4th June 2020 by Family Minister Michael Falzon, it was announced that the Parents’ Benefit, paid to those who could not work from home and needed to take care of their children since schools and childcare centres closed their doors in March, will continue to be paid until 3rd July, when skolasajf reopens. Refer to Press Release here.
Parents employed in the private sector, with children under 16 years of age, who are not able to work from home, and who due to the impact of COVID-19, after 8 th March 2020 cannot go to work to take care of their children, may apply for this benefit. (Does not include employees, working with private companies, and who work or provide an essential service in a Government department or entity).
Employees eligible for this benefit, will receive a direct payment of €166.15 per week if they work full-time or €103.85 per week if they work part-time.
In addition employees will enjoy the following benefits:
- The Social Security Contribution will be paid and their future contributory pension rights safeguarded;
- If they are entitled to Children’s Allowance, their rate will be adjusted taking into consideration the new income earned and this may increase up to the maximum rate of €24.08 per week per child;
- If they are entitled to the In Work Benefit, they will continue to receive it without deductions;
- If they are entitled to the Tapering of Benefits, they will continue to receive it without deductions;
- Parent of children under 16
- You work full-time or part-time in the private sector (read note above about who is excluded)
- You cannot work from home
- You are not attending work to take care of your children after 8th March 2020
How to apply:
Application Form: https://socialsecurity.gov.mt/onlineforms/Pages/COVID19ParentBenefitEN.aspx